<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> West Sligo - Castleconnor/Corbally

Tara Farm House

Tara Farm House

Tel: 00353 (0)96 36398
Fax: 096 36398
Address: Tara B&B, Ballina Road, Enniscrone, Co.Sligo

 

Photo Gallery  -  Local News  -  Clubs & Societies

Castleconnor is a maritime parish lying between Ballina in Co. Mayo and Inniscrone in Co. Sligo. The River Moy, one of Europe's best known Salmon rivers, forms the western boundary of the parish. There are a variety of interesting historical sites, including an important ringfort dating to around the seventh century, a thirteenth century Norman castle, built by the Berminghams, a fifteenth century castle complete with twin turrets, built by the O'Dowd family, and used in later years by the Williamite army, and Castletown House, built in the seventeenth century by the Morgans.
View of Nephin
As one travels along the coast road from Ballina towards Enniscrone, past Killanley Church, one of the most imposing of the many remaining raths, that of Rathmulcah, stands on the left-hand side between the road and the estuary of the Moy. Arguably the most important archaelogocial single feature remaining in the Parish, it has been in existence from around 600AD or even earlier, and could be said to be the mother of the modern Parish.

 

Castle Connor

Castle Connor
The original castle was built by Piers de Bermingham in the early 13th Century when they disposed the O'Dowda's, the sitting chieftans. The O'Dowda's now weakened by the presence of the Normans, aligned themselves with the O'Connors of Sligo. This alignment allowed the O Dowda's to employ their own Merceneries provided they remained loyal to O'Connors. In 1371 O Dowda's & O'Connors retook Tireagh and Ardnaree. O Dowda's occupied Ardnaree Castle and O'Connors retained the land for lease known as Castleconnor. Hence the name Castle Connor. There was no mention of Castle from the date of take over until the 16th Century suggests that it was in ruins. This would be a trademark of the Sligo O'Connors, they were of military background and would have seen the castle as a stronghold for a potential enemy invasion. In 1520 Conor O' Dowda built a new castle on the same site as the original the ruins seen today is the original Anglo Norman castle. The fact that Conor O Dowda built a castle in more recent times it is believed that this is the origin of Castle Conor. History would show that the name Castleconnor existed for approximately 200 years prior to Conor O' Dowda's Castle and was most probably named after theO'Connors of Sligo the overlords of Tireagh.

 


Home  - Attractions   - Accommodation  -  Services - Sports  -  Shopping